It is in the evening and you are in a hurry to send an email to one of your contacts. However, for some reason, you keep running into an error notification that says “your email server does not have the features required to allow messages to be left on the server”. This message can frustrate you and you may feel helpless. Fortunately, we have several solutions for you and you could get your mail to its recipient in mere minutes if you go through this article.
The Nature Of This Error
If you get “your email server does not have the features required to allow messages to be left on the server” when you try to send your email, it is an indication that your Outlook has error 0x80042104. Error 0x80042104 means the server cannot take Outlook command to leave messages in the server.
Alternatively, you might receive this error message due to the extremely low send/receive interval set. Follow through the following steps to solve this error.
This message, “your email server does not have the features required to allow messages to be left on the server”, may be caused by the failure of your Windows update to search for updates. It may also be unable to install these updates. This problem might originate from the following components.
- Irregular entries in Windows Registry
- Windows System file damage
- File corruption
- Internet access
- Virus and Malware
Set the proper value of send/receive interval
If send/receive interval is set extremely low, remedy the problem by pressing Alt+Shift+S. This will open the Send/Receive Settings dialog box. Select the “Schedule an automatic send/receive”. Then set 10 minutes or higher and click OK.
Run a repair for Outlook
If the first step does not work, it might indicate that the issue originates from the Outlook application and its programs. In this case, you can try a quick repair or online repair.
- Run a quick repair for Outlook.
Use the Microsoft office repair tool to fix the application. To use the tool, follow these steps below.
- Step 1: Right-click on the windows icon. From the pop-up menu, select Apps and Features. Select Microsoft Office, then click modify. You will see a Quick Repair option which you will select and click Repair to start the repair process.
- Step 2: After the repair is complete, restart your computer.
2. Use online repairNote
Using the online repair option will reset all your Outlook settings as well as customizations. If you are sure to use this option, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Right-click on the windows icon and Go to Apps and Features. Click Microsoft Office, then Modify. Choose Online Repair, then click Repair. You will receive a notification that says, “We’ll download files to repair your installation”. Select repair.
- Step 2: After the repair process is through, you will receive another notification that says “Office is installed”. End the process by clicking close. You can check whether the error has disappeared.
Remove the affected email accounts and add them back
If you still see the message “your email server does not have the features required to allow messages to be left on the server”, try to remove the affected emails. This process will not deactivate your email account. Deactivation will require you to let your email account provider know your intentions.
Here is how you can successfully remove or delete the affected email accounts. Once the process is done, you will no longer be eligible to send/receive mail using that account in Outlook. You will also learn how you will add your accounts back.
- Removing an Email account in Outlook versions of Microsoft 365, Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010.
- Step 1: Select File from your main Outlook window right on the upper left corner. Select Account Settings. You will see all your accounts.
- Step 2: Click the account you want to remove and click Remove. Remember to choose Yes when a message prompting you to delete all offline cached content appears. This execution will only delete downloaded content that is stored on your computer.
2. Removing an Email account in Windows 10 Mail
Note that this process removes the calendar associated with the account.
- Step 1: In the Mail app, select Settings. Choose Manage Accounts.
- Step 2: Choose the affected account and select Delete account. If there is no Delete account option, it means that the email account is the default email account you used when logging in to Windows 10. In this case, you will turn off the email from this account.
3. Turning off an email from the affected account
- Step 1: Choose Settings, Manage Accounts, then the account you want to turn off.
- Step 2: Select Change Mailbox sync settings, select Sync options, then set email to Off using the slider.
- Step 3: Select Done and Save.
4. Adding your Email account back
Our goal is to get rid of corrupted data. So after, removing the affected emails from Outlook, you will want to add them back. Here is how to do it.
- Step 1: Select File, then Add account. If you are using Microsoft 365 and Outlook 2016, you will enter your email address and select Connect. If you are using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010, you will see spaces to enter your name, email address, and password.
- Step 2: After entering that information, click next. If asked to enter your password again, enter it and select Ok, then Finish. You are now able to use your email account in Outlook.
Create a new Outlook profile
You can also try to come up with a new Outlook profile. This way, you can test to see if you still have the same issue. A profile is where you find your account details or data and settings specifying the location of your email messages. The following steps will help you create a new profile.
- Step 1: In Outlook, first select File, Account Settings, then Manage Profiles.
- Step 2: Select Show Profiles and Add.
- Step 3: Type a name in the Profile Name box and click OK.
Now your new profile is ready for use. Try sending an email message to see if you will encounter any issues. If it works well, you can switch to another Outlook email profile within the same PC and copy data.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can leaving MS Outlook running continuously cause “your email server does not have the features required to allow messages to be left on the server”?
Yes. It is recommended to close it occasionally.
Can messages in Outbox impair the operation of Outlook?
Yes. If you get this error on your Outlook, delete all messages in your Outbox. Also, check for suspicious messages and ensure to clean them up.
Can I run more than one email account in Outlook?
Yes. You can also easily copy your data between the accounts within the same Computer.
Will I lose my email account if I deactivated it via Outlook?
No. When you remove an email account from Outlook, you don’t lose it. You can still add it back. Deactivating it will require you to let your email account provider know your intentions.
What is the appropriate send/receive interval?
A value of 10 minutes or higher is recommended.